Traci Connell Interiors seeking Innovative Lead Designer
Traci Connell is on a journey to help Interior Designers achieve a renewed appreciation for the art of business as it blends design, and life through loyalty, luxury and satisfaction.
We are looking for a Lead Interior designer to catapult design projects from concept to completion. This position would include working 5 days a week from Traci Connell’s Dallas studio.
An exemplary candidate will define project requirements, schedule, and budget. They execute or oversee every step in the process to achieve project goals. Their precision and attention to detail is coupled with a can-do attitude and strong willingness to “figure it out”.
The goals for the position include working with an ability to keep things moving with minimal supervision and a self-motivated desire in a positive, professional, shepherding manner with all constituents as well as guiding and supervising the work of the Junior Designer.
Projects are planned and executed by the Lead, on time, and meet project and profit goals with high customer satisfaction while bringing a strong, creative, innovative design to all projects.
This position is interviewing immediately with a start date (flexible) as soon as possible. This is a full-time staff position with paid time off, bonus structure, plus other benefits.
The Lead Designer will have a high level of responsibility and ownership of the projects he/she manages and will lead the creation of a project’s comprehensive interiors scheme. The Designer will be expected to have a self-appointed and proactive responsibility for the coordination of interior architecture, programming, space planning, and material selections to be approved. The goal of this position is to
be a team lead for the design, selection, and specification of all FF&E [furnishings, finishes and equipment] and he/she will be responsible for the design and technical coordination for all facets of the interior design package. The Lead Designer is required to have an extreme eye for creativity and unique design solutions that are proactively curated. We believe this new team member is a key component to the success of our firm.
Essential Job Functions and Key Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the expected nature of responsibility and leadership as well as the level of work. Other
duties may be assigned.
- Manage project start to close including project profitability
- Lead initial client intake process to maintain client project calendars with milestones and due dates
- Communicate/collaborate with Principal on job concept and project goals
- Proactively create a complete job scope list and establish a client budget
- Work with contractors to create a realistic schedule/timeline of the job to ensure all parties have the same expectations
- Prepare client contracts/proposals for approval
- Update client budgets and specifications
- Review and approve shop drawings
- Track design client invoices and payments
- Ensure materials and furnishings are within profit margin specifications
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Ensure project is on target, high quality, on time, and profitable
- Lead staff to execute a project in a positive, professional, profitable manner
- Lead, coach, train, monitor, and mentor design assistant/junior designer in a successful execution
- Conducts regular one-on-one meetings with design assistant/ junior designer
- Provide clear, proactive, direct, frequent communication and interface with teammates
- Establish positive, professional client, contractor, and vendor relations
- Lead client meetings and present content in a positive, professional manner
- Provide clear, proactive, direct, frequent communication and interface with vendors, contractors, and clients
- Provide weekly status updates
- Inform clients and vendors of changes
- Analyze and resolve complex technical, design, and installation issues
- Perform site measurements
- Review shop drawings and work with vendors to ensure the desired vision
- Troubleshoot and address problems in a pro-active, professional manner
- Create 3D designs, architectural models, renderings, and drawings
- Create 3D designs for bathrooms, kitchens, and furniture layouts
- Create detailed permit and construction drawing sets, including plans, elevations, and sections
- Design and create construction drawings for custom built-ins and furniture
- Research specifications required for drawings
- Develop floor plans, elevations, and CAD drawings
- Create client mood boards, presentations, and specifications
- Create initial design concepts in collaboration with Principal/Creative Director
- Designs are innovative, highly creative, and produce a wow factor upon review
- Include unique artisan products
- Present and deliver Client Presentation as directed
- Research and select materials, finishes, furnishings, fixtures
- Specify materials, finishes, furnishings, lighting, accessories, etc. required for each project
- Explore boutique, artisan lines (not mass-marketed)
- Research materials, furnishings, fixtures, and finishes
- Call showrooms for pricing, check stock, lead-time, request CFAs, etc.
- Select materials and furnishings within profit margin guidelines
- Prepare client proposals for approval and purchasing
- Generate and process all purchase orders and invoices
- Lead or assist with site measurements, installations, and photoshoots
- Continuing Education practices
- If needed
- Track orders and notify the client of items that are back ordered or discontinued
- Call vendors and workrooms to follow up on orders/expedite orders
- Update status report on a weekly basis
- Coordinate pickups and deliveries with vendors (to warehouse and job sites)
- Lead installation process, coordinate deliveries, photoshoot, and handle post installation returns
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned to enhance the firm.
- The candidate must be physically able to perform various installation project requirements such as lifting, standing for long periods, using a ladder, and other physical duties.
Required Technical Skills and Experience
- 4-year Interior Design degree from an accredited college or university
- 3+ years of Lead Interior Designer experience with a focus on residential interiors
- Good familiarity with project tracking software (we use Asana), Zoom video conferencing, Dropbox and Studio Designer
- Proficiency with AUTO-CAD, Microsoft Office, and Photoshop
- Proficiency in Sketch up is not required but favored
Company Standards and Expectations
- Client Satisfaction: The client is highly satisfied with the design and service provided (client satisfaction survey) Clients engage in additional projects and refer colleagues to use your services.
- Design Development: Innovative Designs that create a WOW factor for all clients.
- Project Management: Project is on time and executed in an efficient, effective, professional manner (met project milestones and deadlines). Issues are anticipated and solved before they became problematic. Problems are addressed immediately with skill and diplomacy.
- Leadership and Teamwork: Received positive feedback from internal staff and oversee Junior Designer. Staff feels supported, empowered, and receives positive and constructive feedback throughout the project. There is a strong, positive culture and camaraderie within the team.
- Project is profitable per firm’s profit guidelines and goals. Furnishings and materials are selected with quality, client needs, brand, aesthetics, and profit margin considered.
- Designer brings new ideas, methods, and clients to the firm.
About the Company
Traci Connell Interiors is an award-winning, nationally published, luxury design firm based in Dallas, Texas with projects spanning across the U.S. Specializing in clean-lined, modern design, TCI services clients looking for smart, durable, and high-end interiors, a true marriage of luxury and livability. The team at TCI delivers a streamlined system of service that expertly simplifies and organizes the design process, becoming one of the most trusted design firms in Dallas. The team’s impeccable eye for space planning and design combined with their in-depth knowledge of project management proves invaluable for clients ranging from first-time homeowners to busy young families, empty nesters, and those seeking vacation homes. Traci Connell Interiors has proudly been named D Home Best Designer of 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021, and included in 2018, 2020 and 2021 Luxe Interiors + Design Gold List. Our firm’s philosophy is two-pronged: we marry luxury and livability, and we want to design in a sense that we evoke a feeling when the homeowner walks in. This design mentality is equally carried over to the culture of our design team as we strive to initiate empowerment of everyone while celebrating successes and leaning on each other as we grow to create a happy work/life balance as well as a fun and creative office environment. Traci Connell Interiors has been a part of the esteemed Dallas design community for over 20 years and has brought many budding designers to their full potential. Traci has a personal goal to support and mentor up-and-coming designers that stem from her past career as a teacher. Through this desire, she has upskilled and illuminated her staff to which 3 of her key team members have been a part of TCI’s culture and creativity for over 8 years tenure. We consider ourselves experts in delivering original designs that provide our clients with ease of mind. Our goal is to create luxurious interiors and custom homes that offer family-friendly livable-style.
How to Apply
This is an exciting opportunity to join a company with inspiring values and a real focus on the benefit of others and curating the longevity of a team. We care deeply about the work that we do and each other.
If you feel aligned with this mission, please apply by emailing